ACTIVITIES AND PROJECTS 2019
- The Pitch and Putt is open 7 days a week from 10 am in the Summer months. Equipment can be hired from the golf kiosk and clubs are available for adults and children
- Intensive work has been undertaken by Amey to control and eradicate, where possible, the infestation of ivy within the tree and shrubbery bed adjacent to the car park. The work has been assisted by Community Payback. By digging out the ivy to root level, their input has made a significant and noticeable improvement to this area
- On-going relationship with Stockdales – the FOWP Volunteers are joined by a team from Stockdales who come over to work in the park every 3 weeks throughout the year, whatever the weather
- Extensive weeding, preparing beds and planting wildflower seeds in the Butterfly Garden
- Tidying and maintaining the car park and flower beds
- Planting of Summer bulbs and shrubs
- Litter picks
- Ensuring the upkeep of park security
FUNDING APPLICATION FOR PATH APPROVED
Good news – following a Council meeting held on 20th February, Woodheys Park was allocated £18,000 for a path from the car park to the children’s playground. A tremendous amount of work and lobbying over the last couple of years was undertaken by Cllr Stephen Anstee and the Friends Group in order to get this amount of capital for a vital and much needed path. We are waiting for an update from Trafford Council and once received, it will be uploaded to this page.
DEFIBRILLATOR HAS BEEN INSTALLED
We would like to say a huge thank you to Stacey Plews and family who came up with the idea of raising funds to have an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) installed in the park. Stacey organised several cake and coffee mornings which were well attended and she set up a page on the JustGiving website so that people could donate online, raising a total of £789.37. We received a massive boost of £1,000 with the help of Mark Reid who was an active members of the Friends before leaving to work abroad for a few years. When Mark found out about the project, he successfully applied for a grant from the Matthew Good Foundation. A group of NCS Students also worked hard to swell the coffers by undertaking a car wash, they raised £162.50. The Friends of Woodheys Park donated £100 and other donations of £25.10 were also received.
A big thank you goes to:
- Stacey and Phil Plews and family
- Mark Reid
- National Citizenship Service Students
- Mama’s Cakeria
- The Co-op, Coppice Avenue
- The Friends of Woodheys Park
- Everyone who contributed and all the volunteers
A GRAND TOTAL OF £2076.97 WAS RAISED
GREEN FLAG AWARD
The Friends Group is working hard to maintain the Park’s prestigious Green Flag status for 2019.